Friday, January 23, 2009

Cristiano Ronaldo: I'm a good driver


Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo has insisted he is "a good driver" after writing off his £200,000 Ferrari on the way to training.


The Portuguese star crashed in a tunnel near Manchester airport on January 8, causing terminal damage to his Ferrari 599 GTP Fiorano.

He denied speeding or driving carelessly, and blamed the accident on ice and oil on the surface of the A538 dual carriageway.

"I actually consider myself a good driver," Ronaldo said.

"I've never had an accident in six years, apart from this one. I was unlucky, I caught oil on the road, a bit of ice and there you are."

The 23-year-old made an unexpected half-hour cameo in United's Carling Cup victory against Derby County on Tuesday evening, and scored a penalty to end a goal drought stretching back two months.

United assistant manager Mike Phelan said: "We had a plan to get Cristiano on the pitch and hopefully give him the chance to score.

"It worked for us, he scored the penalty, so his confidence is up there again."

No comments:

Post a Comment